Re: [Roadsters] rope seals

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] rope seals
From: Toby B <RacerY@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 22:22:38 -0700
I looked into it a few (15) years ago-
there are 2 problems that I recall.
First, the groove for the rope is not square,
but bevelled, so the standard square section
seals don't fit.
Second, it's not finish machined, so there's significant
roughness to the... boring?  It almost looks planed, but that's not possible.
It might even be 'as cast'

At any rate, I learned my lesson, soaked the second rope in oil for a
week, and it leaks less than either of my road- going BMW's now...

What I remember,

Toby
Seattle

 > Has anyone ever modified the R16 to a modern lip seal?  I know there are
> kits for MGs.
>
> As I hope to assemble my engine soon, it would be great if there were a
> "less-leaky" option.
>
> TIA
>
> Tim
Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net