Re: [Roadsters] Mastery Cylinder Rebuild Kits

To: "Marty Escarcega" <escarcega@cox.net>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Mastery Cylinder Rebuild Kits
From: "Gary and Cindy Ault" <aultgc@att.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 16:46:00 -0500
The brake rebuild parts are usually available on eBay.  If not, check the
list of "Vendors" on 311s.org.  Some will have the kits, others may not, but
a little research on-line will answer the question.  But, if the M/C isn't
leaking and the brakes stop evenly, I'd leave it alone.

I'd put silicone fluid in the system, though.  Here's what I did many, many
years ago:

1.  Drained the existing fluid, pumping the pedal with one bleeder at a time
open..

2.  Filled system with denatured alcohol (to get the petroleum-based fluid
remaining).

3.  Drained the alcohol, again, pumping each line separately.

3.  Flushed the system with about three volumes of fresh silicone fluid, one
line at a time..

Flush and bleed the brake M/C before starting on the system.

The key point is to get the alcohol out of the system, because it will
vaporize when heated, and that's a bad thing.  Never had a problem with the
brakes or the clutch.

Gary