Re: [Roadsters] Datsun horn repair

To: <lmflaming@comcast.net>, Datsun Roadsters send mail
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Datsun horn repair
From: Jim In Virginia <wrenchorhammer@live.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 08:40:39 -0400
Quite a few years ago I repaired the horns on my 67 myself.  Do your horns
come apart, in other words are they held together by nuts and bolts all the
way arouind the edges?  If so, take them apart and you can free them up and
fix them.  The key point is to measure the resistance of the coil (horn wire
to horn body) and make sure there is not an open circuit, because if thats the
case the horn is burned out, although I would assume this would be rare as
they just dont get used much.

Anyway, once taken apart, you can easily see that these work by an
electromagnet causing a plate to vibrate rapidly, and in my case things were
just rusted up a little bit and "stuck".  I cleaned them up and wiped them
with some light oil and put them together and they have worked fine for many
years.  THere is also a tuning screw to adjust tone.  I tuned mine for a
somewhat old car sound.  If you march off into tuning them, you need to tune
both or they will sound disturbing.

I think on 68 or newer roadsters a more modern horn is used that does not come
apart, and like the cool vintage glass fuel filter going away, the cars in my
opinion became just a little less interesting.

And no, please dont construe this as a slight against the 68 and newer
roadsters!  The newer ones have dual circuit brakes and collapsing steering
columns, and that alone is a good reason to choose a newer one.  Each have
their advantages.

Best Regards,
Jim

Chesapeake, Virginia