Re: [Roadsters] Oil pump primer

To: "Domingo Castilleja" <mingocast@gmail.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Oil pump primer
From: "Gary and Cindy Ault" <aultgc@att.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 21:43:04 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=att.net; s=s1024; t=1334716975; bh=re188SxpLR7COaTCeqZKGRSmfsqwRQcluu8nA09fIcQ=; h=X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=Gp54x1oZ40J7Hq3NP4HLuFZ8ef/qMc/x4JMIugpDVazy4YcCwsTDAxuX1t1hSuV4o3QHy8ab3FLDse9Vmz1aT7IbWWwfwC+TKA48hCCIUgbaVKMfGZ0kCXcNEEcz3M2Y5IAXE9ataE+jmWnIBjta7t8Y8ZkaJRbDit5PrzT1a1g=
Sender: datsun-roadsters-bounces@autox.team.net
Domingo,

I didn't see anyone else answer your questions, so I'll take a shot.

1.  The gear on the distributor shaft drives the tachometer.
2. When you spin the oil pump, you are turning just the pump. You couldn't turn the engine via the oil pump drive -- gear ratios are all against you. It's why you must remove the intermediate shaft, which has the gear which engages the camhaft in the 1600, jackshaft in the 2000. The discussions on this subject recently noted the difficulty one can have realigning the intermediate shaft with the oil pump once you're done priming the engine.

Gary

----- Original Message ----- From: "Domingo Castilleja" <mingocast@gmail.com>