fot

Brake fluid

To: friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake fluid
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@forbin.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 1996 16:23:07 -0600
I'm going to copy a note from a member of the other list, to members of
FOT. I too am curious about DOT 4 vs DOT 5. I used Castrol LMA and saw
the black stuff coming up from the hole connecting the TR6 plastic
reservoir and the cylinder. Jack Drews

">I also noted the black stuff in the brake fluid

I have recently started using the DOT 5 in each car as I redo
the rubber in the systems.  I'm been looking at the master reservoir
on the Concours cars at the shows, most use the Blue TRF DOT 5.
What's interesting is that the Blue fluid looks brand new... not
all of these cars are recent rebuilds and some are driven
semi-regularly.

The DOT 4 LMA stuff is basically clear and on the cars using it,
I've noted blacked fluid and a bunch of crude on the bottom of the
reservoir, some of these were done as a complete system...

My lastest theory is that everything but DOT 5 discolors the rubber
and slowly causes them to fail.  As DOT 5 seems benign, I suspect
the seals will last many times as long, in fact likely a fixed number
of "cycles" vs. a certain "interval".

I'd love to hear about anyone racing with DOT 5, seems like that would
be a really good test.

Roger"

--
Roger G. Bolick, rgb@exact.com, (512) 794-9567, FAX 345-2879