fot

Re: TR Gearbox problem

To: vinttr4@FORBIN.COM
Subject: Re: TR Gearbox problem
From: dfullam@albany.net (Dianne Fullam)
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 18:29:20 -0500 (EST)
Hi Jack

On the gearbox problem, did you check to see if the rear needle bearing
started to creep out of the layshaft?  You mentioned a wear band on the rear
washer.  Where is it exactly?  If it is at the ID of the washer, it would be
caused by the end of the needle bearing cage rubbing on it.

This happened to me some time ago.  When I tore down the gearbox for a
rebuild, I found the outer end of the rear needle bearing cage missing
completely.  The body of the cage extended out of the layshaft about .050".
The needles were still there, held in place more or less by the thrust
washer.  I still have the old layshaft, with the headless needle cage
sticking out of the back end.

Good luck with it and Happy New Year

Pete Fullam
TR4  CT19207L  Original owner

>When I removed the engine and trans for freshening after the last race,
>I found that the input shaft to be VERY difficult to turn. Disassembly
>revealed all parts to be just fine, BUT the layshaft assembly was
>binding between the thrust washers, even preventing the assembly from
>dropping down after removing the layshaft itself.
>
>After a serious struggle to get the layshaft cluster out, I found the
>needle bearings to be just fine, the layshaft to be as new, and the
>thrust washers themselves appear to be intact, with the rear one showing
>just a single ring of wear (nothing more than I would expect after 40
>hours at competition speeds). The thing acted like the thrust washers
>swelled or the case shrunk.  The thrust washers are steel backed with a
>dimpled bronze face, the only bronze in the gearbox.
>
>I was using the same synthetic lube as in the rear end (yes, I know, the
>book says use engine oil) for added viscosity at high temps.
>
>Any ideas as to what might be the cause of this?

Dianne Boggess Fullam
E-mail: dfullam@albany.net