fot

Rear hub lapping

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear hub lapping
From: Nickbk@aol.com
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 23:27:36 -0500

<<
 Need Information!!!! HP or Nick of Norcal...I understand you have a
procedure
 for lapping in the rear hubs. When we get the hubs from Jeff, this would be
 nice piece of information for him to include in his hub package.

Fellow FOT'ers-

No major trick to lapping the rear hubs, just pretend its a really big valve
you're doing. Inspect both tapers (of course you will want to crack check
both pieces first) for any sign of "working" on the pieces. (Often looks like
little waves when really bad, or shiney spots when first starting). These
high points MUST be smoothed out. If all looks OK, use a little valve lapping
compound to just get a "dull" surface. Check to see how much coverage you
get, then go for it, eventually you want to get it all the way around. I find
that it is easier to hold the axle and turn the hub by hand. Don't spin it
all the way around, but back and forth about 30-45 degrees, then lift the hub
off of the axle taper, turn it, and drop it back on the axle. Repeat. Use
some layout dye to check your progress. Assemble dry.

If you have a lathe and a good supply of nuts, you can take a small cut off
of the backside of the nut in order to get the holes to line up after
torqueing (torquing, torking, toreking ah heck, you know, tightening it
really tight).

The "new" kid on the list
      Nick in Nor Cal