fot

Flying Triumphs...Ouch

To: jsnook_gmi@wcnet.org, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Flying Triumphs...Ouch
From: Malaboge@aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 18:42:31 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-03-03 09:50:37 EST, Jeff sez:

<<
 Due to a broken axle at Sebring Saturday (cause currently unknown, but
 under investigation) my 1960 Triumph TR3A has been life flighted to the
 Triumph hospital in Stuart, Florida.
 <snip>

Sorry to hear you've gone to flight school...TR3's don't have the best
aerodynamics, but that test is a bit severe !

Where did you axle break, at the splined (inner) end, or the outer end. Not
that its any help at this point, but I have found that the axles that are a
smaller diameter just past the splines (as opposed to the axles that are of
one diameter all the way along their shafts) seem to be stronger and resist
the dreaded "spline twist" which results in a broken axle. It seems that any
of them will break at the outer end next to the bearing. If you have broken
the shaft within (or right next to) the tapered section, you probably had a
hub moving around on the shaft. Careful lapping and torquing will help this
area (notice I didn't say CURE, I don't think you can).

Gotta remember, the newest axle around is now 35 years old...kinda makes ME
feel young
        Nick in Nor Cal