fot

TR Handling

To: friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR Handling
From: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@forbin.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 1997 19:15:23 +0000
Thanks to all who responded to my questions about TR handling! There are
some really knowledgeable and experienced people on these lists who are
willing to share what they know!

Last year we spent most of our trackside development time trying to
eliminate some carburetion problems. They are more fun to work on than
suspensions, which require crawling around on the ground. With fuel
delivery sorted out, we'll now attack handling (I know, I know, I've got
it all backwards -- )

At the risk of boring you all, I have tried to summarize the messages I
got back, since some of them came directly to me and some to the lists.
If I've oversimplified your answers, please forgive me - or correct me
-- and if you are bored by all this please DELETE NOW

1. Computer modelling by one lister indicated that the Addco front bar
adds only 7 to 10 lb / in roll stiffness. Compared with spring rates
(stock of 310 or so and competition 480 and upwards), this is pretty
small.

2. Nearly universal surprise at my statement that removing rear roll bar
had little effect. Maybe I was seeing the effect pointed out in #1, that
my rear spring rate overrode the rear sway bar effect.

3. Ratio of front to rear spring stiffness is very important (stock is
310 front, 128 rear).

4. Any locker differential  will increase understeer -- the more severe
the locker, the more understeer (makes sense - wants to push the car
straight ahead). Quaiffe (Torsen type) has least effect.

5. Universal agreement that stiffer rear springs and installation of
rear sway bar adds oversteer.

6. Shackle length change should be done so that both spring eyes are
hoizontal to minimize roll steer.

7. Heavier bars at both ends are recommended by several -- heavier than
the Addco bars, with arms that do not flex as Addco bars do.

As a separate mesage I'll send out a story of an amusing incident and my
hero sleuthing solution to the problem (you may yawn).

Thanks again!