fot

Re: VP rod bearings/steel head gaskets

To: spirals@ESINET.NET
Subject: Re: VP rod bearings/steel head gaskets
From: Catpusher@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 22:01:03 -0500 (EST)

<< Do any of you packrats have a set of standard VP rod bearings that you
 would trade for .010s, .020s or .030s? I've tried most of the usual sources
 with no luck.

  How did you know that I was just going to ask the FOT if anyone has
a source for TR2/4 Vandervell rod bearings as in .020us or STD mains.

steel head gaskets:  I still use NOS factory gsakets, and they squish the
ribs
when properly torqued.  If your liner protrusion is OK I would first suspect
your torquing operation.  Are you using a click-click?  I do except for
the last couple of rounds, where I use my beam torque wrench.  You said
that the nuts felt loose.  I use no wire, and GM gasket cement on the
fig8 gaskets and the head gasket.  This leaves the plastic coating
intact, which I feel is important.  With a milled head, a STD copper gasket
will last a few laps, so the C/R is of no matter.
   The Jaguar Factory has a PN for bars stop leak, and they used to put
it in all their new cars at the factory for years; so if you are at the
track,
or the oil has just a trace of water, guess what I do!
            Good Luck In Advance      Hardy