fot

[Fwd: Re: Summit Point Vintage Race]

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fwd: Re: Summit Point Vintage Race]
From: emanteno@ix.netcom.com
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 08:20:13 -0500
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 08:18:34 -0500
From: emanteno@ix.netcom.com
To: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Subject: Re: Summit Point Vintage Race

R John Lye wrote:

> Hi all,
>      I got a call from George Wright, of *YELLOW* TR-4 fame, last
> night.  He had a couple of interesting pieces of news.  The first
> one was he'd won his race this weekend; I believe that this is
> his first win.

Hooray for George!!!

> He's heard rumors that another Triumph went end over
> end due to a broken axle; John (or is it Jeff?) Harkness has
> apparently had an axle failure.  This is getting to be a very
> serious problem.

That would be John, a very good driver with a very nice powder blue TR3.
Earlier, Jeff Snook (white TR3) wrecked his car due to axle failure.
This is indeed bad news if true. Axles are a serious problem. I had all
of mine magnafluxed and threw away 2 that failed the test. These axles
were a problem when the cars were current era, now the axles are over 30
years old and the engines make more power than ever, and the tires have
more grip..... We're going to have to be more careful than ever.

Irv