fot

Follow-up to Bad weekend report.

To: "'Catpusher@aol.com'" <Catpusher@aol.com>,
Subject: Follow-up to Bad weekend report.
From: Chip Bond <spirals@esinet.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 09:27:36 -0400
Hardy mused:

   Chip,
   A pity, to say the least.  What carbs do you run?  I have only seen SU
feed tubes fail after they have been really hurt.  I have really abused
them
to remove them before I realized that a little heat makes their removal
much easier.  I run "aeroquip" threadded fittings (drill out the ID).  SCCA
had prohibited press in fittings in carb fuel feed fittings due to FF &
S2000
carbs where the pressed in fittings fell out; but a healthy one on a SU
is most unlikely to.

These were SU HS6 carbs. Back in early April, I had the brilliant idea of
soldering a reamed 1/4" NPT fitting on to the brass infeed tube on both
carbs. This would allow placement of an AN adaptor to go to a 90 degree AN
hose fitting. Finally a neat way to adapt a braided fuel line to the carbs!
Line was routed in a generous "S" curve to the float bowl from a regulator
on the fender side of the tub. The pressed in tube did not come out, it
broke at the float bowl lid boss. I guess the weight of the three fittings
and the vibration of the engine caused a small pendulum type motion on the
end of the tube. The set up lasted for a full test day, then all of the
Bridgehampton race and most of the first session last weekend. Then it let
go.

The fix is to cut a -4 male to male AN fitting in half, TIG one half onto
the lid, them ream out the center. Seems so obvious now......

P.S. Chip and FOT: As none of our gearbox covers seem to be flame
resistant,
please remember Hardy trick:  When flames from the front start to blow
into the cockpit, quickly check your path for suitability,and SPIN IT 180
deg.
to blow the flames away.  If your car's rear tires are covered with oil, as
my
TRs were when I first tried this, it is very easy to do!!

Hardy, I've been practicing this maneuver at least once every weekend ;>}

Congrads on the pole wins! It's still incredible that these 40 year old
tractors can give these modern 90's techno creations a run.

Later,
Chip