fot

Re: Just wondering....

To: mjb@spitfire.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: Just wondering....
From: Catpusher@aol.com
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 03:37:42 -0400 (EDT)

<< What counts is the idea.  Suppose one took a moderately aerodynamic body,
 say a squaretail GT6, put in a few goodies, like a 3.27 diff, an overdrive
 and a really strong motor that could pull to, say, 8 grand.  Given a vast
 whiteness of ancient salt beds, how fast could such a car go?

 The gear.sc spreadsheet claims 126 mph for 6 grand with a 3.27 diff, 185/70
 tires and standard gearbox, no o/d....

 mjb.

   Having just spent a week once again rebuilding and R&R ing the gear box
in Ellie's every day GT6+, what can I say!  If you do this and head West
across the Utah salt flats and have a control problem, perhaps you
will visit us in Daly City, CA in a single bound.  However, the FOT seems to
be wisely developing the idea " If Triumphs were ment to fly" .....  My
landings
have not gone well in the past.
   In 1970 I attended a National at Mid-Ohio where the GP44 GT6+;
with Bob cramed in the driver's seat, as Brian was ill; not only won DP, but
passed
the CP leading 914-6s as well.  The motor sound was most special, and a
look at the dash found the tack telltail (telltale) @8000.  Perhaps Bob would
like to join the FOT and help you with this quest!
   BTW the GT6+ has enough front end lift @70 MPH to make one alert, but I
cured that with an air dam in about 1971.
          (mid season humor attempt from HP)