fot

Running Hot and Tire difficulties

To: Alexander Joseph H <AlexanderJosephH@Waterloo.deere.com>
Subject: Running Hot and Tire difficulties
From: mike jackson <grand_wazoo@flinet.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 17:22:09 -0700
Alexander Joseph H wrote:

> After putting the headlights back in and moving the cooler to the front
> of the radiator we are running hotter...just about to the peg. Plan to
> put Water Wetter in and fabricate a little scoop under the valance. (Any
> ideas?)

We have the oil cooler set up alongside the radiator so it's not
blocking any of the water radiator.  Also essential to have excellent
shrouding around everything up front so the air has proper motivation to
go thru the coolers instead of around them.

a hole in the chin, below the shelf also can bring air to that bottom
part of the radiator.  Shrouding from that hole to the radiator will aid
the motivation of those little air guys down there too.

have a gutted thermostat body where the old thermo was.

A modern core between the two TR header tanks finishes the cooling
system re-engineering.

Rarely run hotter than 200 deg F, even in the summer

> Dont like the Hoosiers particularly well after the BF Goodrichs.

Takes time to adapt to the bias tires after running on the BFGs
comfortably.  I spent many races watching the apexes well away from my
car when I made the change.  Finally started to adapt when I discovered
cursing wasn't helping and only a modification to driving style would.
The biggest trick was to begin turning in earlier and shallower than
with the radials.  It also takes a while to get comfortable with the
amount of slip they will develop while still remaining attached (sort
of).

mike