fot

Re: Axles

To: jrhill1@FACSTAFF.WISC.EDU
Subject: Re: Axles
From: Jeff Snook <jsnook@wcnet.org>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 1997 21:44:12 -0700
Jim Hill wrote:

> Jeff -
>
> You wrote:
> > I was cleaning out a folded and ran accross an e-mail you sent
> > regarding axles for a TR6 from a supplier in England.  Tony Lee, SNG
> > Barratt.
> >
> > How can I get hold of these guys?
>
> Sorry for the delay in answering your note - just got back from a
> week off and the first thing that happened on my return was an e-mail
> system crash.
>
> SNG Barratt has a web page that shows the axle:
>
>      http://www.barratt.co.uk/lores/newdev.htm
>
> I also got some brochures from them awhile back, and would be happy
> to send you one if you give me a land address.
>
> They look interesting, although pricey, and I'm not sure of their
> legality. I'm just getting my TR6 prepared for vintage racing after
> an absence from racing of some 20+ years, so I'm still a bit
> tentative about what's legal and what's not. Your thoughts would be
> appreciated.
>
> Jim Hill
> Madison WI

Jim, thanks for the info on Barratt.  I e-mailed them asking for any
info on TR3/4 axles.

I response to your question about what's legal and what's not, I am not
sure that I can answer that.  The groups that I race with are mostly
TR3s and TR4s.  I have only seen a few TR6s in my few years of vintage
racing.  In general it's safe to say that upgrades related to safety:
brakes, etc. are O.K.  If you race with HSR, authenticity is not much of
an issue, so just about anything you bring to the track is legal.

Actually there is a thread going on on the vintage racers mail list
about this very issue.  This issue is also one that will fill many a
page of discussion, and probably never get anywhere.  If you want to ask
questions about vintage specs at SVRA, call and ask for Jack Worhley.
They will give you his number and he is always interested in talking to
future vintage racers.  VSCDA also probably has a list of cars and
elegibility.

Jeff Snook