fot

RE: Big Bore Kits

To: "'Richard Taylor'" <n196x@mindspring.com>
Subject: RE: Big Bore Kits
From: Alexander Joseph H <AlexanderJosephH@Waterloo.deere.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 08:58:24 -0500
Hi Richard,

This sounds very familiar to us. We ran an engine very near to stock the
first couple years. Our initial focus was to build a car from the ground
up paying particular attention to what ever we could do to the
suspension/handling. Reads: whatever we could produce ourselves without
spending large dollars. We ran this way for two years.

We continue to run the same set of pistons, rings and liners (87mm) for
the past five years (really!). Through the advice of the late Mike
Belfer, we went to the ISKY TR666 cam three years ago and have made some
improvements to the head. Our Compression Ratio is well less than 11.0:1
(about 10.5:1 calculated) We run the Crane/Allison ignition. After that,
there has been alot of attention to detail and we hold the redline at
5500-6000 rpm.

We have a Quaiffe, which was installed after the first year. We ran an
open differential the first year. This was not a bad move as we sorted
out the car & learned some driving skills...(hopefully). The rear end is
a 3.7:1 which is good for Road America (long winded) and a bit marginal
for Black Hawk Farms. The transmission is stock...no close ratio..and we
have run an O.D. but I moved it to our street TR3.

Outcomes: We have been very reliable, qualify the car very well, but
usually lose a couple of positions during the race. I attribute the
position loss to the lack of some of the "goodies" we might have and to
a lack of driving experience/skill/aggressiveness.

The 'fun factor' and associations we have developed have been the high
points, but I would be lying if I didnt admit to a certain degree of
satisfaction over placing well, especially against some of the "cubic
cash" entries.

Would be happy to share more of our experience, if you wish.

Good Luck, Richard.

Alexander Racing