fot

Road Atlanta Historic Races

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Road Atlanta Historic Races
From: Richard Taylor <n196x@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 11:17:25 -0700
Fellow FOTers,
The weekend @ Road America sounded great.  Down South here we also had some
pretty good racing. The weather was warm, the refreshments cool and the
racing friendly but competitive.

In our class, 2H, there were four Triumphs entered in a field of 13.
Couriously the only two of us in our race group of 37 who drove to the
race, unbolted our windshields, emptied our trunks of spare parts, tools,
jumper cables and lined up on the grid were Triumphs.  Neither one of us
set any lap records but our level of enthusiasm was right up there with the
fastest drivers there. Alan Pinel, on the other hand, in his full race
prepared TR-4 finished only fractions of a second behind the first place
MGB-GT.  Right behind Alan was Mike Cammarata in a very well prepared GT-6.
Following him were two Lotus Cortinas then a few more MGB,s and a Porshe
914.  Michael Blair in his TR-3 street machine took 9th place and I
salvaged a 10th in my TR-4.  Mike and I had our our own private race event
back there behind the pack along with the 914 and a Jaguar XK 120 from
another class. From my perspective, there was never the slightest hint of
anything but portsmanship of the highest order.
In every respect, it was a exceptional weekend.  Alan and Mike carried the
glory banner with second and third place finishes and Michael and I did our
small share by piqueing the interest of those who still remember sports car
racing as a gentleman's sport of a non-exclusive charactor. BTW, I got 34
mpg (on race gas) on the way home after the race.  Where are the trophies
for Saving the Planet?
See you'll at Daytona in a couple of weeks.
Richard, TR-4 #96