fot

Daytona

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Daytona
From: Richard Taylor <n196x@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 18:25:15 -0700
Fellow FOTers,
I can't believe I'm doing this but bright and early tomorrow I will drive
down the driveway and head 400 miles south to Daytona in my TR-4. The
towtruck and trailer option was a elephantine temptation. If I am going to
be true to my cause, however, trailering to the race is not an option.
It's crazy how sometimes in life we create these little sets of values then
struggle to adhere to them.  This is a classic one. In the first place who
gives a rat's butt if I travel the easy way or the hard way. Secondly, from
a pragmatic point of view, driving that far in a 35 year old car adds
measurability to the posibility (probability) of mechanical failure.
Thirdly, I must ask myself if this really adds or detracts from the pure
pleasure of a potentially spectacular race weekend. My only answer to these
questions is to paraphrase Teddy Roosevelt. If I succeed, perhaps I will
enjoy "the triumph of high achievement."  If I fail, "at least I will fail
while daring greatly."  Probably that's a bit much of an overstatement, but
some of the componants of what I feel are there. I'll write again Monday to
tell you'll how it all turned out.
Richard, 65 TR-4 #96