fot

Re: lUG NUT STUDS

To: Richard Taylor <n196x@mindspring.com>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: lUG NUT STUDS
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@virginia.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 07:15:19 -0500
At 09:06 PM 10/29/97 -0800, Richard Taylor wrote:
>when I was suddenly passed by my left rear wheel.

That's not any fun at all.

>The tire shot like a bullet right through the pack; touched not a car and
>bounced merrily into some woods over a quarter of a mile away.

That's very lucky, it sure could have been a lot worse.

>Is this what you guys have been talking about with hub stud problems?

Hmmmm, do I understand correctly that the studs were still intact and
attached to the hub?

>I hammered off the knock-off and out fell the four lug bolts.

So you're running wire wheels, then, I take it.

>I've ordered new studs and nuts but what's the deal?  Is this
>symptomatic of the lug system or is this just an isolated case of a
>mechanical failure.

I'm running oversized lug studs now, because I don't trust the stock
studs for racing anymore after shearing the studs on my right rear
wheel a few years ago (yup, even ahve it on video).  The other
possibility is that the studs are marginally too short and you're
not getting enough thread engagement; the wire wheel extensions
limit how long you get the studs, so there's not much you can do
about that.  I suppose that old studs might have the thread ends
buggered a bit, so you might want to check them every so often
and replace them as a matter of routine maintenance.  Just some
random early morning thoughts.

good luck,

John Lye
rjl6n@virginia.edu