fot

Re: TR3 Trans/OD question

To: Malaboge@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR3 Trans/OD question
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 10:09:03 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 5 Nov 1997 Malaboge@aol.com wrote:

> The thing I love about these type of questions is that they actually "beg"
> for OPINIONS....

Not that we could ever coax an opinion from you , Nick....

[stuff deleted]

> The mainshaft should work ok if you are putting it into a box with synchros
> on all 4 gears (it'll be too long on for a box with only 3 synchros). The
> problem with the size of the front of the late 3rd motion shaft is actually
> to your favor. The late box used a larger diameter bearing than the earlier
> box so you can cut it down to fit your existing bearing size in the 1st
> motion shaft (I think there are 4 different sizes of this "snout" on the end
> of the 3rd motion shaft if you include the early bronze bushed "bearing"),
> but, you'll have to re-harden the end if you cut it down.
>
> Steel vs bronze/brass ...no sweat use either, just don't mix any of the
> bushings...all or none.

I tried using a "late" steel top-hat bushing on a
"sort-of-middle-production" TR6 gearbox... the ID of the bush was smaller
than the part of the shaft where the 3rd and 2nd gear bushing ride. So, I
think that if you want to go to a stock steel 2nd gear bushing you either
need to ream out the steel bushing or you need to use a later shaft.

I never took the time to measure everything carefully, but I recall the
difference being under .010...

So, has anyone ever reamed out a late "top-hat" bushing?

> Always shifty...and always Opinionated...
>      Nick in Nor Cal

regards,
rml
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |