fot

Re: Piston Clearance

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Piston Clearance
From: DLMAssoc@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 13:39:14 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-12-02 12:38:12 EST, AlexanderJosephH@Waterloo.deere.com
writes:

<< I have a set of NOS Hepolite pistons that look like they might have been
 manufactured in the 50s. They are 87MM +.030 O.S.  I didnt think such an
 animal existed then, but it is plainly stamped. I wonder somewhat about
 replacement rings, but suspect that any size is probably available.

 Yes, I know that it slightly exceeds the "legal" requirements of vintage
 racing, but the price was right. Should be forgiveable and I am not
 attempting to build a "killer" engine, anyway. >>

Just the other day I was talking to a machine shop here about doing the
block, crank and head of the TR4 and he said "you wanna save a lot of money?"
 He said that back in the '60s sometime they would bore out the sleeves and
use Chrysler 6 pistons, that the dimensions are the same but they're .060
over 86mm.  Naturally I righteously declared that "that wouldn't be legal",
but on reflection, that would be about .010 less than Joe's 87mm + .030.
 Hmmmm...

Where is that junkyard now?

Don "mopar" Marshall