fot

TR3/4 camshaft timing

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3/4 camshaft timing
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 1997 18:14:54 -0600
I just finished putting my TR3 back together after deciding that the
block was responsible for all my head gasket problems.  I used a TR4
block donated by a local club-member, and put all the moving pieces
(crack, rods pistons, camshaft, lifters, timing chain and gears) and
used new liners and bearings. I marked the camshaft at TDC prior to
disassembly in order to make re-installation easy. The good news is
that the head gasket is holding fine, but the engine isn't running
properly. It's running hot (the headers get almost cherry red) and at a
loss for power.  My first thought is that I missed by a link on the
timing chain or by a tooth on the drive gear, but I'm wondering if it's
something more basic, like differences between blocks in setting up
timing. I guess I'll have to measure TDC on #1 with some push-rods and
reset the timing gears.  Any helpful advice.  Setting up the camshaft
is still a gray area for me.
TIA

Bob Kramer, Austin TX
Hill Country Triumph Club