fot

Group 2 News You Can Use - BRIC II 1998

To: "'Friends of Triumph'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Group 2 News You Can Use - BRIC II 1998
From: Alexander Joseph H <AlexanderJosephH@Waterloo.deere.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 13:58:49 -0600
This note is being directed primarily to Group 2, specifically those of
the Triumph persuasion and pointedly at a group of folks known as the
Friends of Triumph. But NOT to the exclusion of Porsches, Sprites,
Alfas, Austin-Healeys, etc....or the renegade vintage racing group know
as Team Thicko.

BRIC II  - Road America - July 15th-19th 1998

Tentative Schedule:

Note..TR3/TR4 is typically Group 2  (GT6 & TR6 is typically Group 8)

WEDNESDAY-Group 2 entrants (and all other groups) may sign up for "Test
Day" on Wednesday, the 15th at an additional cost. Three sessions.

THURSDAY-Group 2 entrants ( and all other groups) may sign up for
"Practice Day" on Thursday, the 16th at an additional cost. Three
sessions.

FRIDAY-Group 2 entrants will have practice and qualifying race. This is
a departure from prior years where practice & qualifying has been on
Saturday.

SATURDAY-Group 2 entrants will have a warm-up session and the Feature
Race. This is a departure from prior years where Group 2 ran on late
Sunday morning.

SUNDAY-Group 2 entrants are eligible for the Group B Enduro which will
be run with Groups 2, 4, 8, & 10. This is a departure from prior years
when everyone was lumped together into one "high pucker factor" enduro
with Can-Am cars, etc. This should be a good decision for everyone. The
entry fee in the past has been a nominal $5 or $10 for the Enduro. I
dont know if this has changed.

If you are coming from an extended distance and this is your first
running of Road America, running at least the extra practice day, may be
something for you to consider.

Group 2 seems to be a real mainstay of VSCDA. Usually heavily subscribed
with an eclectic group of very nicely prepared cars. The IS a wide range
of performance capabilities. Between most Group 2 folks behaving very
well and 4.0 Miles to spread out in, it usually take 7-8 laps before
"backmarkers" are encountered.

Disclaimer: This is not an official announcement from VSCDA. It
represents some early planning by VSCDA, in a recent board meeting,  and
may be useful to those folks who have run this event in the past and
will want to know of some of the planned changes in the configuration of
the event...or are coming for the first time from long distances. It is
information supplied by one of the board members for our benefit. He is
also responsible, in a large way, for the level of popularity the
Vintage Racing our TRs enjoy in the Midwest. (We dont necessarily have
the fastest TRs in the Midwest, but we likely have the most fun)

A final word: This event has surpassed the "June Sprints" in spectator
attendance. The folks associated with it have strong organizational
skills and while no event is "perfect", it is hard to be disappointed
with the Brian Redman International Challenge (formerly, "Chicago
Historics").

See you there...we seem to be looking at an impressive subscription of
TRs, BTW.

Oh yes, the VTR National Convention follows closely behind the BRIC II
in time, and just down the road a piece. Starting the next Tuesday &
Wednesday, it will be held in Hudson, Wisconsin across the river from
the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul. It will be hosted by the
Minnesota Triumphs.