fot

Re: TR-10 ?

To: kevin allen <allenkma@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: TR-10 ?
From: Ted Schumacher <tedtsimx@mail.bright.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 08:34:19 -0500
kevin allen wrote:

> Here is a question that possibly someone could help me with , the odd
> Spitfire heads that are appearing around the country are perplexing me .
> I have had more than one person describe them as TR-10 heads . Am I
> showing my ignorance by not knowing what this is ? Any help would be
> appreciated .
>                      Thanks ;
>                      Kevin Allen
kevin, the head you are looking for is from a 948 herald.  i was one of
the people called in by scca at the run-offs to give testimony on the
legality(?) of this head.  a protest had been filed by a competitor
against the spitfires that were using this head.  the reason for using
this head is the size of the combustion chamber. since it is appreciably
smaller in volume, the head does not need to be milled as severly to
achieve extremly high compression. this enable different piston top
designs. alternate cam/valve lift combinations,etc.  i have several
people that want this head so i will source them from the uk. if you are
interested, let me know.  this also brings up the topic of pushrods.
some people are promoting an ultra stiff tubular pushrod. one of the top
engine builders in the country mentioned to me that they have gone back
to even stock pushrods since the extrme rigidity of the large diameter
pushrods was causing more harm than benefit. this has been born out in
conversations with several enigne builders/cam designers and pushrod
mfg's.  we still make the 5/16" chromemoly we suppl;ied brit. leylands
USA comp. dept./  ted
--
Ted Schumacher
TS Imported Automotive