fot

Exploding 1147

To: "'fot@autox.team.net'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Exploding 1147
From: "Bownes, Robert M. (EXCH)" <RMBOWNES@intermedia.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 12:24:02 -0500
OK, time to make the plea to the FOT list, since I've tried everywhere
else...

I've got this 1147 GP Spit you see. It's gotten into this habit of
eating #3 rod bearings. Like 4 out 5 times. (once was a stupid move on
my part, then #4 went...) I usually catch it before it goes boom, but
last fall @ Watkins Glen, it went Boom in a big way, punching a rod
through the oil pan and all that good stuff. Not the first time, but
perhaps it's last in my care.

There are only 3 engine components common to all 5 motors, the cam, the
head (and all it's assorted bits), and the owner. I've been through
three engine builders, three blocks, five cranks (besides myself!). The
failure mode seems to be a pounded out # 3 rod bearing which is bright
blue. Engine temps are not unreasonable before it goes ( 195-215 h2o,
215-230 oil). Oil pressure was good ( start @ 80-100 lbs hot, down to
40lbs at speed, hot). I've not been seriously anal about rod clearances
(1.5 - 2 thou) but having the same journal go four out of five times
kinda has me puzzled. Typical lifetime is 30-50 minutes.

There have been a number of theories as to what is going on. Oil
starvation was one, put in an accusump and deep oil pickup. Overheating
- put in electric fan, then serious air ducting and huge oil cooler, oil
temps dove, still lost it. Lack of oil to 2/3 journals - opened up oil
passages to #2 main and cross drilled crank - oil pressure dropped
overall (to 40 lbs hot) and engine lasted one race plus 3 hard laps @
the Glen. Detonation - changed to Electromotive crankfire ignition
examined very carefully - one race.

I'm out of options. I'm not really in a position where I can spend $K on
having some one else build me a motor (did that once before, it lasted
18 minutes). The spouse has decided to get rid of the car, but I'm not
wholeheartedly convinced of that. (though I have bought another car (a
FV)...albeit sans motor) When last @ the Glen, I had an offer for it,
but it was alot less than I wanted. I'm going to have to put an engine
in it before I get rid of it, so something has to be done. I've got a
block/crank @ the machine shop now, but once that is  done, I'll have a
dillema. Put it together and try to keep it, or just dump it.

Can any of you 1147 wizards offer any opinions/options?

Bob