fot

Re: keeping my cool

To: emanteno@ix.netcom.com, FOT@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: keeping my cool
From: ArthurK101 <ArthurK101@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 1998 15:54:32 EST
Irv, see my comments in the body ofyour message below.

In a message dated 98-01-03 01:31:07 EST, emanteno@ix.netcom.com writes:

> However, while doing some research, I
>  noticed that the TR4A radiator appears to be significantly wider than the
>  TR4 radiator.

That is correct.

> Does anyone know whether the TR4A radiator uses the same or
>  similar mounts as the TR4 radiator?

The TR4 radiator brackets are near (about 2"s above)  the bottom of the
radiator.  The 4A brackets appear to be higher up the sides of the radiator.
Since the TR4 and TR4A frames themselves are different I would SURMISE that
the frame mounts  are different.  I base this on frame pictures in the Moss
catalogue (p.52).  The VTR TR4A consultant should be able to answer that.

> Does the extra frontal area of the 4A
>  radiator improve the cooling?

Yes. IMO that is why Triumph moved to the larger radiator.  I can't ever
remember a list thread on cooling problems with TR4A's although there have
been several discusions about TR4 cooling problems.  N.B. Another item to
remember is that both radiators used "shrouds" to funnel the air from the
grill to the forward face of the radiator.  This shroud is important!

>  Any thoughts and recommendations welcomed.

If you have a TR4A and are going to restore it as such I would definitely use
the larger radiator.  If the car is going to be restored as a TR4 and you are
going for authenticity, it's up to you as to which radiator to use.  (Accuracy
vs. efficiency).  Since this is a race car, I assume that authenticity is not
an issue, so I would opt for the 4A radiator if it can be mounted to the frame
(I understand it is a TR4 frame) which you have.  That would require some
modification to the lower frame mounting points since the TR4A's had a
different frame than the TR4's and the radiator attachment frame mounts were
welded to the frames. Because you had a non-stock radiator to start with, some
mods were probably already made.

Hope that helps.

Art Kelly