fot

Re: Sealing problems-Head Gaskets

To: <TR3197@AOL.COM>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Sealing problems-Head Gaskets
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 22:23:28 -0600
Did I see my cracks mentioned?  My car is up and running again, with
new block in place, after a minor problem with the cam timing ( I
screwed it up the first time). We have our first 1998 race the first
weekend in February, and it looks like I'll be ready for a change. As
you stated, the problem I had was those pesky cracks around the "short"
stud holes. I also noted a gradual erosion/deterioration of the upper
threads in the block, i.e.: they were going away. My machinist used a
magnaflux powder to show me the cracks. Needless to say, it's not worth
messing with a questionable block, and they do wear out, at least the
threads do. Using a stock gasket didn't help me to get the head gasket
to stick. I tried 3 of them, a thin solid copper and a couple of copper
wired shim steel gaskets. A thick solid copper gasket probably could
have kept me away from the total rebuild a few races, but the timing
was right so I tore it down. Thank heaven it's sticking now!

Bob Kramer, Austin TX
Hill Country Triumph Club
TR6x3, TR250 x3, TR3A vintage race
rgk@flash.net