fot

Re: Flywheel

To: n196x@mindspring.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Flywheel
From: Malaboge@aol.com
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 14:42:10 EST

>Fellow FOTers,
>I bought a junked TR-4A motor to rebuild into a street/race engine, ie 125
>hp and dependable. The crank will come out tommorrow and it appears that it
>will have to be turned.  Whilst at the machine shop. I need to have the
>flywheel lightened.  Therein my question lies.  Are there specs for this
>process?  If not, how about rumor or lore?  Not knowing even this, I'll
>even settle for gossip.  Thanks
>Richard Taylor, Atlanta
>TR-4 Vintage Racer
>

>Richard-

"Whilst at the machine shop"...oh I love it when you talk that way...

The stock TR4 flywheel is one heavy puppy. I believe there are diagrams
available (Kastner book ?) of what can be removed, but the cost of removing
all that metal is not gonna be small. Why not bite the bullet and step up to
an aluminum flywheel? I've street driven one for years in and around the hilly
city of San Francisco, and not had a problem. The benefits on the track will
be more than you can achieve with a lightened stock flywheel.
If money is really that serious a concern, perhaps think about using a TR3
flywheel and redrilling the pressure plate holes for the later clutch. The 3
flywheel is probably lighter in stock form than the most serious case of
lightening on a TR4 flywheel.

Gossip-R-Us...
    Nick in Nor Cal