fot

Re: SCCA Rollcage?

To: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: SCCA Rollcage?
From: "Kevin O'Driscoll" <ko3@columbia.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 16:08:23 -0500 (EST)
So, I guess this means that GT1 specs will then be adequate for future
Solo II and Production racing...

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Bob Lang wrote:
> Now, as for non-original mounting braces etc., for Street Prepared it's a
> pretty safe bet that unless the braces are stock, that you cannot modify
> them. You will note that the rollbar specs do not specify what type of mount
> is required... but they do provide a guideline for the "pad" that the bar
> sits on (something like "the foot will be at least xxx times the diameter
> of the roll bar").

I found the full SCCA 1997 Solo II classifications and some of the rules
on the web at "http://wwwbest.com/~mouton/sccasolo/index.shtml";  and the
1998 classifications are available in PDF format at
"http://www.scca.com/amateur/solo.html#98class";

 For prepared, you might get some crap if you made
> forward braces that connect to the shock tower, for instance, but if you
> did that, you're probably building the car to E-Prod specs anyway and if
> you do that, you should stick to the E-prod rules as the common reference...
> you can get a safety marshall to buy-in to your roll cage if you build
> for the road racing spec... but your car will also be heavier as a
> result. That's probably not an advantage in AP... after all, you'll be
> competing with 1500 pound Lotuses and TVRs.

So I guess what you are saying is that a little rule bending may occur if
you specify that you want to eventually take the car on the racecourse and
for that reason you need the full cage incl. frame tie-ins fore and aft.
The TRs are usually run in Solo II DSP unless highly modified, and in
E-Prod road racing correct? So are all all E-Prod TRs going to now have to
come up to the GT1 spec roll cage???

> Bolt in bars are okay, but there is a min. spec for the mounting bolts...
> 3/8"  min. if I remember correctly... which means that in order to bolt in
> a cage you need to knock out all of those 5/16" nuts that are welded to
> the frame... at least that's what I'm doing right now... this comes from
> the GCR.

So for instance, lets say that you drilled out your 5/16th nuts and then
welded on a reinforcing plate of steel the correct size onto the bottoms
of your rollbar.  After you get everything lined up and drilled, you
realize that you need an aluminum spacer to get a good tight fit between
the frame and the body because the old rubber things are shot.  So would
that be considered a non-original modification to the frame brace?  How
about if you tied your hoop into the rear of the frame by means of a
reinforcing bar that went from the top of the hoop to the floor of the
trunk or to the top of the propshaft tunnel??

Just curious because I have never done anything like this before.

Thanks again to all who respond.

Best Regards,
-KevinO