fot

Re: New Axle Notes

To: spirals@ESINET.NET, vinttr4@FORBIN.COM
Subject: Re: New Axle Notes
From: JHarkness <JHarkness@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 06:34:56 EST
Chip, and FOT:  I've looked long and hard at the scratches.  Even took a
couple of photos, which have not been processed yet.  Tried to reach Brian at
Sway-a-way, but he hasn't returned the call yet.

Have to admit I'm really concerned, as they are in precisely the area that
failed on my axle.  Will be taking them to a local machine shop for evaluation
in the next day or two.  One idea that occurred to me is to try to remove the
ring (with heat, I imagine) and then machine small flats to remove the
scratches.  Note, I do not mean turn the diameter down.  Just mill two small
flats to remove the scratches.  Look to me to be about .010 deep, although
that is far from precise!

Any thoughts, group?     John Harkness