fot

Salisbury Diff

To: fot@autox.team.net, mxr125@erols.com
Subject: Salisbury Diff
From: Malaboge <Malaboge@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 00:00:51 EST
> ChipHi Chip, I think the solution is as you suggest to put the proper size
spacer on the bearing race which will work very well on the new axles. I
will just be adding to the depth of the press on spacer. I will be sure
to have a tight fit but will not require a press on fit.The unit is new
and I still do not see how to install a thrust button but guess it will
not be necessary now.This may also help if I add negative camber to the
rear since the axle end will not be pressing against any thing.If anyone
 can think of any problems with this please let me know. Thanks for the
input from everyone.
george Wright
George-

As I recall, the Salisbury unit has two cross shafts in the center that sort
of "interlock" with each other. These shafts form the shaft that the small
side gears rotate on. While round on the ends, they form a large square
section when "interlocked" and viewed from either side. This setup will not
come out of the center section as with the Detroit type spacer, and the
housing must be completely disassembled to remove these shafts, but acts in
the same manner. No additional thrust button should be needed. Unlike with the
Detroit setup, you must set the end float on each axle as the center thrust
section in the Salisbury will not "float" like the Detroit style.

As for adding additional negative camber on a "straight" axle car...expect
additional wear and tear on both the inner axle splines and the spider gears.

Of Course this is just Differential Theory...
          Nick in Nor Cal