fot

Questions re driver school/track time

To: Amici Triumphi <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Questions re driver school/track time
From: Susan Hensley <susan@grotecon.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 17:31:11 -0600
Hi all!

It looks as if I will be going to the SCCA driver school put on by
Stephens Brothers Racing at the Hallett track in Oklahoma at the
beginning of April.  This will be my very first track time in this car
(I have 15 minutes in an MGB at TWS), and I have several questions about
car preparation, if you don't mind.

The car (1967 Spit) was built, set up, and run as an SCCA road racer,
and was run by the PO for about 6 years with no major incidents (except
I have heard he possibly blew the engine a while back).  It has GT6
front hubs and brakes, and competition axles in the back (whew!).  I
have new front wheel bearings and Nilos seals to put in it (and will be
checking the rears), and the front brake pistons need to be rebuilt
(seals are ragged around the edges).  I am thinking about replacing all
of the u-joints with Hardy Spicers when I change out the differential
(it has the 4.55 in it right now).  My first question is: What should I
check/magnaflux, etc., before I go out for what looks to be about 5-6
hours of at-speed track time across two days?  I was thinking about
having the vertical links fluxed (if I can find someone here to do them
quickly).  Brakes look good, tires are good, fire system is charged, oil
pressure running good, fresh trans fluid...  Does anyone know if Hallett
is a 3.89 track, or a 4.11?

Does anyone have any tips from their first time, of things they might
have overlooked, things I may not have thought of, etc.?  I am so
excited (and a little bit scared), and am really looking forward to
going!!!!  I just would hate to get there and have overlooked something
teeny but oh-so-important (it's about a 5-hour tow from home).  My
boyfriend said, "Bring a change of underwear!"  :)

Thanks so much in advance for your help.  I can't wait to get out
there.  They have an 8-student max in the school, and they run Spec
Fords, so if anyone like me brings their own car, they get their own
instructor so time won't be wasted trying to explain Spec Ford stuff to
Spitfire drivers and vice versa.  I like that!

Keep Triumphing,
an exuberant Susan Hensley   :)