fot

SVRA Savannah race invaded by Triumphs

To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: SVRA Savannah race invaded by Triumphs
From: mike jackson <grand_wazoo@flinet.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 1998 15:32:17 -0700
First, my apologies to all the Spit drivers on the list.  I didn't get a
lot of dope on who was there and how they did.

The SVRA race had a nice turn out of tractor motors with George Wright,
Jeff Snook and myself.  Plus Harry Gaunt with the biggest, blackest,
baddest Triumph powered Morgan you'd ever want to see.  I have NEVER
seen a car with a tractor motor have that much straight line speed.  He
chased me down from 6-8 car lengths back, lap after lap.  And I thought
I was going fast!

The three of us TR guys paddocked together (along with my wifes lowly
formula V) and had a congenial time all weekend.  Plus, I got to see
some more photos of the Devin, looks gorgeous.

George showed us the way on Friday and laid down some very respectable
lap times.  Jeff and I were a bit slower but still running quite well.
On Saturday I applied the lessons George gave me on Friday and out
qualified him.  But the first 5 cars on the grid, including a Daimler,
an MGB and a ex-Eprod Fiat,  were separated by about 0.3 seconds total.

Everybody ran well on Saturday and 'ol 62 finished first.  George was
going to be seriously in the hunt but had an agricultural excursion when
the Daimler showed him brake lights entering into about a 90 mph
sweeper.  It's and old trick and I've learned that when I see Mosers
brake light come on in that corner, it's time to hammer the throttle
cause he's in trouble and I'm goin around.

On Sunday we had a hum-dinger of a race goin when one of the TRs decided
to have his ignition take a breather.  Sadly it was mine.  Was a
wonderfull first 10 laps with the badass Morgan along side at turn one
lap after lap.  But, it was a 14 lap race.

Both George and Jeff had good runs as well with both putting down lap
times that all of us would have gladly taken and called it a successfull
weekend.

Left my car a the track and will drive back up in 2 weeks for an SCCA
race that is including vintage.  Hope to bring all the right parts to
make it run again cause it was totally dead by the time it got near the
trailer.

Hope to see more fasTRs at the Mitty in 3 weeks.

Your humble correspondent,