fot

Harmonic Dampener Question

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Harmonic Dampener Question
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 10:10:19 -0400 (EDT)
Hello Fellow Triumpii.

It sounds so "official".

I'm in the process of building a lower end for a TR6 motor. The crank has
been all "done", although I won't know exactly what that means until I
get it back from the shop and measure...

At any rate, the triumph mail list has had a discussion going about
harmonic balancers and the pro/con's of removing fans etc from various TR
cars and electric fans and so forth.

While at the Runoff(tm), I noticed that Sam Halkias had a
really neat viscous coupled harmonic balancer on the snout of his TR6
motor. Now, I fully intend to communicate with Sam about this, but I
thought I'd seek the collective wisdom of this list to see if anyone can
offer any advice.

My assumption is that he was able to use a dampener from a small block
Chevy and that he cut the I.D. of the unit to mate with his crank. This,
of course, would be better than cutting down the crank...

I was looking in the Summit catalogue last night, and there seems to be a
rather large selection of dampeners...

So, does anyone have any advice to offer? I.E. brand names? Things to
look out for?

regards,
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |