fot

Re: Cam Timing

To: n196x@mindspring.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cam Timing
From: Malaboge <Malaboge@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 00:02:00 EDT

<< Yes, great care was taken to not rotate
 anything whilst the chain was removed.  The performance of the engine was
 not nearly as great an improvement as I had wished for and now I'm
 concerned that somehow I slipped a cog on the timing chain.  The engine
 starts on the first compression stroke and runs up to redline smoothly but
 without much oomph.  I keep fooling with the timing to keep the pinging at
 bay, which a new problem I attributed to higher compression, but something
 untoward is afoot.
 Whatch you guys think?  Have I slipped a cog?
 Richard Taylor, Atlanta

Rich-
I think you already know the answer here, you are about to become an "expert"
at cam timing in the next few days....

The fact that you "think" you may have altered the cam timing can only be
answered to utter satisfaction by yourself. I'm sure most everyone on the list
could show you how to do the cam timing routine, but if most are like myself,
we can not do it without the use of our hand gestures (no, I don't mean on the
keyboard either...) The first step on your quest is to pick up a good treatise
on how to do the cam timing thang. Many times the local hotrod shop where
you're gonna buy a degree wheel is the place to ask for the info. Then after
you've read the explanation 10 or so times, we can all throw our opinions at
you.

Sometimes it "smarts" to get smart...
    Nick in Nor Cal