fot

RE: Dayton wire wheels

To: "'Greg Solow'" <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Subject: RE: Dayton wire wheels
From: Alexander Joseph H <AlexanderJosephH@Waterloo.deere.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 09:01:52 -0500
Odd you guys should bring this heavy duty wire wheel thing up at this time.
I was just looking at my old set in the basement.

I have a set of wheels that came off of a early Cobra. I purchased them from
a Denny Henningsen from Mason City, Iowa, in about 1970. He went to a mag
type wheel and I put these somewhat oversized (width) wheels on my TR4A and
subsequently on my TR3A....looked good.

I hit a curb with one and got smacked by a Mustang once. Same results. Upset
the rim a bit, but had no apparent effect on the wires and never any history
of loose spokes. They have an odd number of wires...71 spokes, I believe.
Although they are a bit heavy, I would never have a problem turning them
loose on the track and they may make another appearance in the future.

Question....who made these early Shelby Cobra wheels? They also show up on
some 50s specials.

I have also attempted to sell these wheels as I have had them in storage for
several years and I am running aluminum "mag" wheels and have been surprised
that no one has snapped them up because of their uniqueness.