fot

The Big Bang

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: The Big Bang
From: Richard Taylor <n196x@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 09:16:24 -0400
Amici,
Because of a leaking grease seal, a couple of weeks ago I took my axle to
Bob Wagner @ Atlanta Imported Auto Parts.  These guys are a great source of
help for both funky parts or troubling mechanical work. De-mating the axle
hub from its nesting place qualifies for the later. Bob's 25 ton press,
however, was unequal to the task. Success was gained only after securing
the assembly (axle and huge wheel puller) to a monster vise mounted on a
steel work bench. With a series of Micky Mantle swings of a 16 lb sledge,
with a gratifying report the 30 year old bond yielded.  The high point of
the whole operation was Bob's third swing... which was a clean strike. The
batter was sling shot a couple of meters across the shop by the momemtum of
a Mighty Casey swing.  The power blows which ultimately succeeded
frequently lifted the entire work bench off the floor.
Whilst mopping his brow Bob offered, "Yup, that one was pretty stuck."
Richard Taylor
65 TR-4
Atlanta