fot

Corinthians and Tristan

To: Amici Triumphi <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Corinthians and Tristan
From: Susan Hensley <susan@grotecon.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 1998 10:35:02 -0500
Thanks Joe, for the site info!  Here is our local vintage group I hope
to run with in August, Corinthians Vintage Auto Racing:
http://web2.airmail.net/cvar1/

I have attended several of their events as pit crew, and it's a lot of
fun.

Now to my sordid story:
I got sidelined by a neck problem after pushing an MGB (yeah, I know, I
asked for it), and finally got to pulling of Tristan's lower end on
Sunday.  Yuck.  I wish I hadn't.  The #3 rod was spaghetti -- twisted up
and in about 3-4 major parts and a whole lotta slivers.  The piston was
pretty chewed (read MORE metal in the system) and the cylinder wall was
nicked a little --  not badly, considering what was going on.  So, I am
set back even more.  I have located and will be picking up a 1300 small
bearing block and crank and hopefully rods on Sunday ($50 -- thanks
Darren!)and will whisk them to the machine shop ASAP.  I do have an
offer from the same guy (Darren) to rent his spare 1300 race engine for
VTR National.  Nice guy!  I hope to have this one back together by then,
but it just may not happen.

I do have a question for the collective wisdom -- what is the best way
to clean out oil lines and the oil cooler so no metal shreds are left?
Is it better to replace everything (ouch)?  I have an Accusump, which
unfortunately was wide open at the time, and it needs to be cleaned
out.  Darren gave me the name and number of a company that does that, so
that will be taken care of.

Thanks so much!

Keep Triumphing,
Susan   :)
Slightly discouraged, but with options, and boy, what a learning
experience!