fot

RE: Trans advice needed

To: friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Trans advice needed
From: Chip Bond <spirals@esinet.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 11:04:44 -0400
Uncle Jack, the word going around is that it's better to use decent old
synchros than the repro stuff. Evidently, the new ones don't last very long
in even street car use.

I'm using redline MTL (75/80) and havn't had a trans failure (yet). Don't
use second much just 3rd, 4th and the overdrive splits.

There has been a lot of trouble with the torrington bearings internal to
the countershaft. They tend to want to walk out. The solution is to have
your machinist cut a  ring groove and intall a snap ring to provide
positive retention.

Later