fot

Re: Crankcase Breather

To: Richard Taylor <n196x@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Crankcase Breather
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@forbin.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 07:52:01 -0500
Richard Taylor wrote:

> Amici,
>
> To breath or not to breath, that is the question. I understand that earlier
> TR-3-4 motors had a breather down there at the bottom flange of the block
> and that later blocks had them plugged up.  What's the true skinny...what's
> the preferred M.O. for crankcase breathing?
> Thanks,
> Richard Taylor
> Atlanta

Early engines used a pipe inserted in the hole in the lower rear left
hand corner of the block for a sump vent. Later engines still had this
hole but were fitted with a drive-in  sheet metal plug and accomplished
crankcase breathing with a vented rocker cover and the emission control
devices.

For racing, one can use the lower vent hole, saw off the pipe, push on a
large hose, and run it to a catch tank. The disadvantage of this
approach is that the catch tank must be mounted pretty high, like on the
battery shelf, because right hand cornering forces push oil up this
breather and the tank will overflow quickly.

Another approach is to make a blanking plate to cover the fuel pump
opening, drill and tap the plate for a hose fitting, and run that to a
catch tank. The rocker cover can be vented to the same catch tank, and
with these vent locations the overflowing problem is solved so the catch
tank can be mounted low and out of the way.

The system I'd like to see someone install is to vent the crankcase to a
fitting in the front of the left rocker panel cavity, the rocker cover
ditto to the right side, thus solving the problems of venting the engine
and preventing internal rocker panel rust...

--
uncle jack the carfrek
TR4 Rallye Replica vintage racer