fot

Racing is Dangerous...

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Racing is Dangerous...
From: Malaboge@aol.com
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 01:04:16 EDT
Amici-

A friend of mine died this past week end of a masive heart failure. He was 33
years old. He came in off the track, complained of the heat, and died. Several
other drivers complained of "seeing spots" while they were on the track. Most
everyone that races in this class uses what I would call "inexpensive"
driver's suits. I had not given much thought to driver's suits other than how
expensive they are these days. As my old suit will no longer "pass muster", I
have been weighing the pros and cons of the newest suits. I think that I will
now buy the suit that advertises itself as 24 degrees cooler than others. And
I'll probably go for any optional cooling available. Tough way to make a
decision...

On a lighter note,  the air traffic has been weird around the shop of late.
Not only one, but two of the infamous "black " helicopters checked out the
area where I live this weekend. For those of you not in the "golden triangle"
of illegal crops in Northern Cal, you probably haven't seen these all black
(even the windows are dark tinted) beauties drop down on you in "whisper
mode."  They tend to drop down over the ridge behind me and hover on down on
top of me. You can't even hear these things until they're about 40 feet from
you (and yes they get veery close to you). Saturday I was under a car on jack
stands and thought the darn thing was comin down. Amazing how fast you can get
out from under a car...
Same day, same car, and I heard a plane coming in low. It wasn't some Lycoming
powered puddle jumper, so I clamored out to see a P-51 dropping down off the
ridge and pullin a hard ninety at about 200 feet over me...waaay cool.

Well ya gotta get your excitement where ya find it...
       Nick in Nor Cal