fot

Re: triumphs@play '98

To: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: triumphs@play '98
From: "Kevin O'Driscoll" <ko3@columbia.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 13:40:56 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 13 Jul 1998, Bob Lang wrote:
> So, anyway - as part of the Day of Triumph car show, I put together a
> short video with about 30 minutes of "Triumphs at Play '98". In that
> video - there's shots of a bunch of the FOT crowd from '97 - including
> VTR '97 and the SCCA Runoffs. The cars all look and sound great.

Bob and others,
Congratulations on your ever impressive autocrossing results, lets hope
that you don't make a permanent switch to the rear-engined, air-cooled
nemesis.  I for one thrill vicariously at your autocross exploits, and
wish you luck on the journey to VTR, it sounds as if you may have a seat
time advantage over the VTR autocross fave John Lye, if not a mechanical
one.  Good luck to you too John and too all the other autocross buffs on
the fot list at VTR and elsewhere...
        My car is going back together at a snail's pace, but with the
support of the fot listers, I have confidence at least that it is going
back together with a reasonable shot at actually racing ...  someday...
Realistically with my wife 6 months pregnant it may not be next summer,
but with this vintage sport, it won't hurt that much if I'm getting
vintage as well.  My more immediate goal is to free the garage of the TR4A
before this  winter where it has resided in various stages of disassembly
for the past two years undergoing a mechanical restoration.  That way at
least the car is rolling, who knows maybe I'll even get it roadworthy, and
my wife can park in the garage again during the winter.  (the TR will go
in storage over the winter of course)
         Since I am a beginner at this I have a steep learning curve, yet
the wealth of information here is an incredible asset, and for this I
thank all of you.  For me its balancing the other interests and finding
the discipline to get greasy and enjoy it regularly that is the challange.
I find the work to be very much enjoyable, and the lessons of my
Grandfather, the mechanical engineer, seem always to come back to me at
the right times.
        I would love to get a copy of the Video you mentioned to keep me
going through this lengthy process of restoration, and would furthermore
hope to check out some of the action at Lime Rock, CT  later in the
season... no unfortunately cannot make it to the Land of Cheese this
year... but here's hoping you all enjoy yourselves to Da MaX !!!
Thanks Again and Best Wishes to All
-Kevin O'Driscoll
CT74,666 still in progress in northern New Jersey