fot

RE: FOT re: insurance questions..

To: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Subject: RE: FOT re: insurance questions..
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 16:30:17 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 3 Sep 1998, Jim Hill wrote:

> I don't know about State Farm, but American Family insured my TR6 during
> the (long) non-driving portion of its restoration. Coverage for
> comprehensive, fire, theft, etc., and VERY cheap. This would cover you
> during all the time that the car is in the garage. Just make sure that
> you've got coverage while the vehicle is being towed/trailered to an
> event.
>
> There are several specialty companies that provide insurance for
> collector cars that are either not driven, are driven less that 2500
> miles/year, etc. Check any issue of Hemmings or almost any of the
> vintage racing magazines for ads. I'm not aware of any company that
> writes coverage for accidents that occur on track, but you may want to
> investigate personal liability coverage with your agent. Your car won't
> be covered, but you need protection (and a legal defense) in case
> someone sues YOU.

... listen to this!!! Important stuff there. Especially the  "in case
someone sues you". But talk to an insurance person to see what limits
your liability insurance has, and if you increase your exposure - you
should look into personal liability insurance and that sort of thing.

Not that I'm paranoid or anything. I live in a state where the attorney
to non-attorney ratio is pretty darn close to one!

FWIW, I'll say two things:

1. you can insure anything - as long as you have enough money

2. there used to be Bill Parish's insurance for racers and classic cars -
not sure where that will be going due to Bill's untimely demise... but,
agreeing with Jim, there are firms that advertise in Hemmings (and
Grassroots etc.)

And make sure you understand "stated value" and the other terminology
that the insurers use to make sure that you don't get stiffed in the
unlikely event of you actually having to use to policy...

> Jim Hill
> Madison WI
> SpyderWeb Vintage Racing

regards,
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |