fot

Re: Trannies

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Trannies
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 12:12:03 -0400 (EDT)
Hey.

Speaking of trannies, I came home last night and in my mailbox was a box
from the Guvnah himself (alright, maybe not from Charles, but it was from
TRF)... and it had the third gear bushing that I've been waiting for since
January. WOW. Not a new record, but I'm glad I didn't need it right away!
My record still stands - green hoses on order for 4 years! But they look
great.

I'm putting black hoses on Khartu.

Back to trannies, now I have to put that sucker back together. This is my
original tranny with 20K miles on it. Started grinding second when it had
about 10K on it. Guess what - broken top-hat bushing. One of my brothers
was experimenting with speed shifting, I think. Bad idea. The additional
10k plus miles on it destroyed the main shaft, the second gear cluster and
of course all the bearings were toast because of all the metal in there.
Yikes. $300 in parts. And a lot of cleaning. To think, though - three
years ago, I put something like 5k miles on that tranny (including a trip
to Prince Edward Island) and my only comment was "it doesn't downshift for
$#!^" - I guess so, the second gear cluster was frozen onto the mainshaft.

On the upside, when I rebuilt the "other" 'box, and installed it, it was
like driving a new car!

Oh well.

You gotta love these cars.

rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |