fot

RE: Gearbox Info Needed

To: "'Alexander Joseph H'" <AlexanderJosephH@Waterloo.deere.com>,
Subject: RE: Gearbox Info Needed
From: "Will, Dale" <dwill@consrv.ca.gov>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 14:01:06 -0700
I bought a TR-4 OD box which had been in head on for my 3a.  It too broke
around the bell housing.  I was assured on purchase that the box was a
recent rebuild.  That might have been true, but it turned out that the
impact from the crash broke virtually every piece of brass in both the box
and the OD.   I would check everything very carefully.  Also the OD adapter
plate was bent to where it wouldn't seal.   I was ultimately able to combine
this pile with the remains of my old TR-6OD box which had also seen better
days.

The OD and nonOD gear cases are the same.  I think all the TR-4 input shafts
are the same, but not so TR-6, which had three variations.

BTW,  the pilot bearing in the Gloria has ball bearings.  Mine had nearly
seized because the hole in the flywheel went out of round. That is now
cured.  I am interested to see if the 62 year old Triumph synchros fair
better with less friction in the pilot bearing.

Dale