fot

GT6 Tuning Advice Sought

To: "'fot@autox.team.net'" <fot@autox.team.net>,
Subject: GT6 Tuning Advice Sought
From: "Barr, Scott" <sbarr@mccarty-law.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 17:18:00 -0500
Amici,

Over the winter, I'll be rebuilding (or having rebuilt) the engine,
transmission and suspension on the GT6.  I'm looking for your input on
the proper way to go about this.  Engine needs to be rebuilt anyway -
it's turning the back of the car black and putting out much less than
its rated 79 horsepower.

Some background:  My car (72 GT6) is my daily driver, but also sees duty
in time trials with Midwestern Council and Alfa Romeo Owners Club -
Blackhawk Farms, Gingerman and Road America, so far.  My goal: build a
quick but streetable car capable of turning in respectable lap times
(assuming its driver gets his act together).

I know that what I'll end up with is a car that does NEITHER as well as
might be, but I think I'm OK with that for the moment.  At some point,
I'd like to go racing, but that day is not here yet.  And when that
happens, I'm not giving up my driver!

Given a budget of $2000 or so for the engine (machining and parts), what
would you buy?

I've already got a set of Carrera coil-overs (300#/in.) and poly
bushings that Ted S. was kind enough to obtain for me, so that's my
starting point on the suspension.

TIA

Scott Barr
scott.barr@mccarty-law.com
72 GT6

(p.s.  Ted S. - we started to chat about this at VTR and I'd sure like
to have the rest of your thoughts on this!)