fot

New lister, old Triumph

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: New lister, old Triumph
From: "John Lehman" <JELehman@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 22:03:30 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0025_01BE0F51.90396240

Hello all!

By way of introducing myself, I'm John Lehman of Grafton, OH.  Since I'm =
new to the list, I suppose it would be proper to introduce myself.

Triumphs got in my blood starting with the '53 Triumph solid tail 500cc =
motorcycle I bought before I turned sixteen.  Living in the coutry I =
could bomb up and down the dirt roads near home with open pipes, no =
lights, no license.  I progressed indirectly to a '63 Triumph Bonneville =
for the street.  At some point I realized I wasn't actually immortal, so =
now I want to vintage race.  Where's the sense in that?

Nonetheless, I now have a fully restored '68 GT6 race car.  I've had it =
for the last twelve years as a work in progress.  Really it still is a =
work in progress.  Do you actually ever really finish a race car?

I've got the log books back to '71 when, I've been told, SCCA started =
issuing log books.  Before I started racing it this past summer it had =
forty odd events to it's credit, starting in the Portland, OR, area, a =
string of events in Texas, Viginia and the Carolinas, then in New York.  =
I bought it from a guy in Pittsburgh, PA.  Whoever built the car did a =
pretty creditable job of following Kastner's books.  I wish I could find =
Tom Hall in Oregon.   He's the first name in the log books.

Well, I took the car to Pocono this summer where Jack Woerhle and crew, =
not to mention my competitors, managed to convince me that car and =
driver really are works in progress.  So did the motor when it managed =
to spin the crank bearings.  Next up for me is Elkhart Lake in May, and =
hopefully Mid-Ohio in June.

For what it's worth, I'm a manufacturer's rep in the radiant floor =
heating and boiler business in Northern Ohio.  I mention that because =
I'm trying to finagle some Wirsbo sponsorship.  Any consulting =
engineers, architects, mechanical contractors out there?  I was pleased =
to note that Tech & Event Director at Pocono for SVRA, Bob Williams, =
specifies our products.  That means I can at least write the event off =
on my taxes, doesn't it?  Yeah, right.

John Lehman=20

------=_NextPart_000_0025_01BE0F51.90396240

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Hello all!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>By way of introducing myself, I'm =
John Lehman of=20
Grafton, OH.&nbsp; Since I'm new to the list, I suppose it would be =
proper to=20
introduce myself.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Triumphs got in my blood starting =
with the '53=20
Triumph solid tail 500cc motorcycle I bought before I turned =
sixteen.&nbsp;=20
Living in the coutry I could bomb up and down the dirt roads near home =
with open=20
pipes, no lights, no license.&nbsp; I progressed indirectly to a '63 =
Triumph=20
Bonneville for the street.&nbsp; At some point I realized I wasn't =
actually=20
immortal, so now I want to vintage race.&nbsp; Where's the sense in=20
that?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Nonetheless, I now have a fully =
restored '68 GT6=20
race car.&nbsp; I've had it for the last twelve years as a work in=20
progress.&nbsp; Really it still is a work in progress.&nbsp; Do you =
actually=20
ever really finish a race car?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I've got the log books back to '71 when, I've been =
told, SCCA=20
started issuing log books.&nbsp; Before I started racing it this past =
summer it=20
had forty odd events to it's credit, starting in the Portland, OR, area, =
a=20
string of events in Texas, Viginia and the Carolinas, then in New =
York.&nbsp; I=20
bought it from a guy in Pittsburgh, PA.&nbsp; Whoever built the car did =
a pretty=20
creditable job of following Kastner's books.&nbsp; I wish I could find =
Tom Hall=20
in Oregon.&nbsp;&nbsp; He's the first name in the log =
books.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Well, I took the car to Pocono this summer where =
Jack Woerhle=20
and crew, not to mention my competitors, managed to convince me that car =

<EM>and</EM> driver really are works in progress.&nbsp; So did the motor =
when it=20
managed to spin the crank bearings.&nbsp; Next up for me is Elkhart Lake =
in May,=20
and hopefully Mid-Ohio in June.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>For what it's worth, I'm a manufacturer's rep in the =
radiant=20
floor heating and boiler business in Northern Ohio.&nbsp; I mention that =
because=20
I'm trying to finagle some Wirsbo sponsorship.&nbsp; Any consulting =
engineers,=20
architects, mechanical contractors out there?&nbsp; I was pleased to =
note that=20
Tech &amp; Event Director at Pocono for SVRA, Bob Williams, specifies =
our=20
products.&nbsp; That means I can at least write the event off on my =
taxes,=20
doesn't it?&nbsp; Yeah, right.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>John Lehman&nbsp;</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0025_01BE0F51.90396240--