fot

coffinm@mail.ecu.edu, MTucker436@aol.com

To: fot@autox.team.net, wheeltowheel@wheeltowheel.com
Subject: coffinm@mail.ecu.edu, MTucker436@aol.com
From: "Bill Sohl" <billsohl@mailhost2.planet.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 10:42:09 +0000
Mark bradakis wrote and forwarded:
> Gee, I guess I missed the start of whatever discussion this was, but I thought
> some of you might find the comments of interest.
> mjb.

Larry pretty much has the right bent on the realities of
older cars competing in current SCCA classes.  Back when
Mike Cook was still the Advertising Manager for Jaguar,
Rover, Triumph; I commented to him about how great it
was to see Hardy Prentise (TR-3) doing so well in SCCA
racing.  His reply was that they (the factories) would
rather not see that since it provided less opportunity to
use racing wins as advertising for the current line
of cars.  The factory PR folks would just as soon see
an age cut-off that would keep the current racing
limited to contemporary vehicles.

Remember the showroom stock class which had just
such a limitation.  Given the sponsor money at stake
for both individual entries as well as event and race
support, you can see where the pressure comes from.

Cheers,
Bill Sohl
VTR magazine Co-Editor