fot

Hi and spitfire 1300 camshafts

To: <fot@autox.team.net>, <kowalma@texaco.com>
Subject: Hi and spitfire 1300 camshafts
From: "Janice/Matt Matthews" <matthews-home@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 18:51:20 -0600
A small introduction is apparently in order.
My name is Martin D. Matthews (Matt), I share a SCCA MK IV Spitfire FP with
Mike Kowalski, my neighbor and co-worker at Texaco in Houston TX. Not
vintage. The car is too new and not eligible.

I have been away from home for a while and came back to the discussion of
what this group is all about and if I belong or not.

I hoped this group would be willing to share knowledge on building
Spitfires in general and SCCA FP cars specifically.
I am naive enough to believe that lots of what is known by each racing
group could cross over to the other group. We dearly want to beat some of
the spridgets that rule this class.

Mike and I bought the car as a 1500. The previous owner had just blown the
engine (rod) and had a shop prepare a new one. He race it once and we
naively took it to school and a couple of races. We finally tore it down
because it was entirely to tight for my liking. The crank was cracked. One
rod cap was on backwards ( reason for it being tight. The vibration
dampener was pinned solid and not working. We bought a 1500 crank from
another racer that turned out to be a big bearing 1300. This of course
necessitated new pistons. We have decided to build a 1500 to compliment the
1300.
This necessitates buying a 1300 camshaft.

Now the question.

What is the wisdom of this group about 1300 camshafts.
We currently have a Crane #f-254/325-5 1981 style
lift at cam .325 I&E, IO 45 btdc IC 72 abdc, EO 78 bbdc EC 42 atdc. Which
is probably OK for a 1500.
What do y'all suggest for a 1300 that should turn 8000 to 9000.