fot

Re: Alloy Wheel Repair Experience

To: emanteno@ibm.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Alloy Wheel Repair Experience
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 10:06:07 EST
Irv:

While I am aware of those you mention and have seen their ads, I've not dealt
with any of them.  I have been working with a local exotic welder in an effort
to repair my stash of cracked mag wheels.  Cosmetically they come out
gorgeous, but we have experienced stress cracks after one week end.  We are
now playing with the possibility of reinforcing the webs (where they crack).

I don't know about aluminum, but my gut feeling for the old mag wheels is that
repairs are largely cosmetic and NOT structural.  If I were approaching one of
those places, I would (in writing) tell them you want them to repair wheels
used for racing, and then ask them if their repairs will be structural.  I
will be very surprised if they will then even touch them, after they hear the
intended use.

Oh yeah.  What we're doin...ain't cheap.  The magnesium is expensive, and the
effort is very time consuming.

Bill Dentinger

PS

I highly recommend painting the spokes.  It makes it much easier to watch for
cracks.  Examine them constantly.